Welcome to #30mins30days in September! Every day we will suggest an activity which you can do right here in Falkirk to get you active, whether mentally or physically. Please let us know what activities you are trying by joining in the conversation on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #30mins30days. We look forward to seeing which activities prove popular and to see who is trying something new!
DAY 23: Nordic Walking
Nordic Walking has really taken off in the Falkirk area, want to find out why? We run Nordic Walking familiarisation sessions several times a year to show you how to use the poles to deliver a low impact workout which targets the whole body. You can then join one of our weekly walks across Falkirk. A great way to see more of your local area, you’ll be surprised what’s on your doorstep!
Nordic Walking is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit.
Whatever age, fitness level or goal, - Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable.
The Benefits of Nordic Walking:
- Tones the upper and lower body at the same time
- Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
- Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
- Reduces the pressure on knees and joints
- Great for the Heart and Lungs
- Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
- Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster than normal without feeling the effort.
- It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sportspeople who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
- It can be done anywhere – no need for hills, country paths or even snow!
- It appeals to all ages and fitness levels.
- No need to wear special exercise clothing
- It’s very sociable; participants can chat as they go!
- It is easy to learn and to keep up.
- It combines exercise with the nature which has been proven to boost mood.
So have a look at our walking groups – why not have a go?
Wednesday, 23rd September 2015