Come along to the Howgate on Saturday 29th March 2014 between 11.00am and 3.30pm to join representatives from Falkirk Townscape Heritage Initiative who will be there to give out information and chat to shoppers about the project. There will be information on the THI and a chance to get involved in the regeneration of the area, not to mention details of grants you can apply for and lots of community engagement projects to join.
Townscape Heritage Initiative is a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund which aims to help communities to regenerate conservation areas displaying particular social and economic need. It encourages partnerships to carry out repairs and other works to historic properties within the THI area and improve the quality of life for all those who live, work or visit there. HLF expect schemes to deliver the following outcomes which will directly benefit Falkirk Town Centre:
- Preserve and enhance the character and appearance of the conservation area that is in need of regeneration;
- Repair and restore authentic details and materials;
- Bring historic buildings back into appropriate, sustainable and economic use;
- Increase training opportunities in heritage skills and wider community participation.
So if you come along on 29th March, be sure to look out for:
- Our stall with information on the THI project and conservation care of historic buildings to inform locals about available grants and complementary initiatives.
- Promotional and education material about Complimentary Initiatives
- Screenings of old films from Scottish Screen Archive (SSA) highlighting Falkirk’s past
- Goody bags with lots of information
- Demonstrations of traditional building/craft skills
- Children's activities
- Historic walk around Falkirk THI area by Geoff Bailey (Keeper of Archaeology and Local History)
- A display of Falkirk Herald Images Exhibition which was originally displayed in Callender House 2nd Floor Gallery in 2013)
So come along and join us in the old Republic unit in the Howgate!