We're thrilled to announce that The Helix has been named as a finalist in the 2014 National Lottery Awards.
The National Lottery Awards search every year for the UK's favourite Lottery-funded project across several categories, with the aim of highlighting projects that have made a difference to local and national communities, as well as the dedication of all the staff, visitors and volunteers that make these projects happen.
The Helix has been named as a finalist for The Best Environmental Project, so now we need your help - VOTE NOW for The Helix!
Here's what The Helix has achieved so far in the Falkirk area...
- The Helix project transformed 350 hectares of landscape between Falkirk and Grangemouth into a thriving environmental space for the whole community to enjoy.
- Improved woodlands and 27km of improved walking and cycling paths, connecting 16 local communities to The Helix and wider Falkirk area.
- Created a new canal link and hub, forming a gateway to the Scottish Lowland Canals.
- Created multiple full-time jobs, a huge number of volunteering opportunities and numerous contracts and business opportunities for local trades and suppliers.
- Enabled the establishing of various community projects, including a beekeeping society, gardening groups, walking clubs and more.
- Created 25 direct training placements for volunteers in woodland management, to help take care of our local area and to conserve the native wildlife and flora.
- Enhanced the Falkirk area's portfolio of recreational spaces, complete with play areas, catering facilities, and the area's very first purpose-built outdoor water sports lagoon.
- Not forgetting The Kelpies - the world's largest equine sculptures, who guard the new canal hub. The Kelpies have become an instant visitor attraction and public art work for the local area. With worldwide media coverage, including multiple television documentaries, 15,000 tour guests and 150,000 visitors in their first 2 months since opening, The Kelpies have fast become the new cultural landmark for Scotland, putting Grangemouth and Falkirk on the tourism map.
Vote now to help The Helix bring the win back to the Falkirk area!