Falkirk Boer War Memorial
At the western end of Newmarket Street in the central bay.
The committee entrusted with the arrangements for the erection of the monument in memory of the soldiers and volunteers from the Falkirk district who fell in the South African War invited competitive design from art students in the area. First prize war given to a design by John Campbell, a pupil teacher in Falkirk Science and Arts School. It showed two figures in bronze of Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in the khaki uniform worn in South Africa. One figure is in a recumbent position as if wounded in battle, while his comrade stands over him with his gun and bayonet poised as if in the act of defence. The pedestal was designed by Mr Thomson, also of the Science and Art School. It is of rough rubble granite with a polished panel in the centre of which the names of the district officers and men is inscribed.
John Campbell designed the figures, and Mr. Thomson the pedestal. Sculpted by W.S. Stevenson. Unveiled by Field Marshal Earl Roberts on Friday 19 October 1906. The work of construction had been completed the previous May, and the monument hidden from view by a tarpaulin. However, the Burgh Council objected and the monument was unceremoniously unveiled by the sculptor, Mr. Roberts, on the evening of Friday 1 June 1906.
Falkirk War Memorial
At first a site in Newmarket Street owned by the Burgh Council was favoured, but in the event this was thought to be too intrusive. In the end Dollar Park was chosen next to the road from Camelon to Falkirk, a site also in the ownership of the Council.
The keynote of this monument is simplicity almost to the point of severity. There are no mouldings on the stonework, instead all the offsets are cut starkly at right angles. A cenotaph structure stands centrally on an elevated rectangular terrace enclosed on three sides by a wrought iron balcony railing on a low parapet wall with stone pillars at regular intervals. The fourth side presents seven broad steps to the main road, which was subsequently widened to front them. The seven stone pillars in the enclosing fence are 6ft 6ins high and 2ft square at the base and cap which are stepped out from the main body.
The platform is paved with concrete slabs radiating from the cenotaph. This has a shallow platform of its own, with the main monument stepped in by two feet on all sides to provide a ledge for the placement of wreaths. The cenotaph is 7ft 6ins long by 6ft broad and stands to a height of 12ft 6ins. On the front and back are bronze festoons of laurel wreaths and a plaque bearing the burgh coat of arms and motto "Touch ane, Touch a’".
Below this, on the side facing the road, is a bronze plaque with a thistle motif border bearing the inscription "Over Eleven Hundred Bairns Died for their King and Country and in the Cause of Freedom, 1914-1919. They died that we might live." On the north side a similar panel reads "In Proud and Grateful Remembrance of those who Fell and those who Carried On in the Great War. Let us Forget them Not." On the east and west sides are swords, 5ft 10ins long, with laurel wreaths entwined in their handles.
In 1953 alterations were approved to add two bronze plaques that bore the following inscriptions:
On the sea, in earth's distant places, or at home, and in the air,
nearly 220 men and women of Falkirk died for their country in the
cause of righteousness --1939-45"
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life
for his friends. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
we will remember them."
Designed by Leonard C Blakey of Copland & Blakey, architects, Falkirk. Masonry work by Ramsay Brothers.
Names of the Fallen
There are no names on this monument.
- First World War: 1160 men.
- Second World War: 220 men and women.
Falkirk War Memorial, Falkirk Cemetery
Placed on an expanse of neatly trimmed lawn surrounded by flower beds to the west of the approach to the crematorium in Camelon or Falkirk Cemetery.
A typical Commonwealth War Graves Commission monument with a bronze sword set vertically on an octagonal white cross with a stepped plinth. The inscription reads: “TO THE/ HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THOSE SAILORS/ AND SOLDIERS WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918 AND WHO/ LIE BURIED/ IN THIS CEMETERY/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVER”.