Appiness: Easy-peasy fun with apps and digital technology
Mobile devices and apps are a huge part of modern life, but it can be tricky knowing when and how to introduce this technology to young children.
Falkirk Libraries are here to help make the process an 'Appier one. We'll show you how to use touchscreen technology to support your child's development and showcase the best apps for boosting learning and creativity.
- Visit the AppyPlace: Falkirk, Larbert and Meadowbank libraries have fixed iPads in their children's areas that you can use whenever you visit.
- Attend AppyPlay sessions: workshops for pre-schoolers and their families. Roadtest apps and get advice on how to make your device more child-friendly. See a list of upcoming sessions at the foot of this page.
The best apps promote lively learning and combine beautiful animation and fun activities to help kids learn about the world. There are apps for improving literacy, fostering creative thinking and even helping with bedtime routines!
We've put together a collection of the apps we use during our AppyPlay sessions for both Apple and Android devices. Links open in Padlet online and you can follow these to the app's page in the App Store and on Google Play.
- Learning ABCs:
- Numbers, Shapes and Sorting:
- Creative play (drawing, building, designing):
- Out and about (going to the shops, starting school, around town):
- Happy and Healthy (self-care, emotions, relationships):
Top Tips for using apps with young children
- Be choosy - look at reviews and check YouTube for app videos.
- Be aware that free apps aren't always free - check for in-app purchases and ads.
- Play together and talk about what you see on screen.
- Make connections to real life experiences.
- Limit use and remember to take breaks.
A listing of upcoming events
Sorry, there are no events available