Bookbug encourages a lifelong love of reading, right from birth via:
- The Bookbug Bag gifting scheme which provides free books to every child in Scotland
- Bookbug sessions full of stories, songs, rhymes
and giggles that happen weekly at your local library.
- The Bookbug Library Challenge which rewards regular book
borrowing from your library with a beautifully illustrated keepsake
Free Bookbug Bags
Bookbug bags packed full of brilliant books and other goodies are given to every
child in Scotland at key stages of their early years.
Managed by the Scottish Booktrust, this gifting scheme aims to help children develop
a love of reading and give you and your wee one a chance to bond and explore books
Your child will receive the following packs:
- Baby Bag (year one): Given by your Health Visitor in baby's first year.
- Toddler Bag (age 1-2): Given by your Health Visitior when your child is aged between 1 and 2.
- Explorer Bag (age 3): Given out at nursery.
- Primary 1 bag (age 5): Given out at school in your child's first year there, usually in November
around Book Week Scotland.
Find out more about the Bookbug bags on the
Scottish Booktrust website.
What if I haven't received a bag?
Your local library keeps a small stock of bags, but you can check with your local
Bookbug Co-ordinator if you’re in doubt about when you should receive your bag.
Your local Bookbug Bag co-ordinator is Yvonne Manning: email email@example.com
or call 01324 501990.
If your child does not attend the health visitor or nursery you can collect your
free Bookbug bag at your local public library.
Bookbug's Library Challenge
Borrowing a book from the library and sharing it with your wee one is great fun.
If you take part in Bookbug's Library Challenge you can collect beautiful certificates
to reward your reading.
The certificates are a lovely keepsake as your wee one develops their understanding
of words and stories to become a reader. They're also a nice reminder of all the
lovely times you’ve snuggled up and read together!
The certificates feature the work of children's illustrators, often of characters
and stories you'll recognise.
You take part at any library in the Falkirk area:
- Register your baby or child as a library borrower
- Collect your Bookbug collector's card
- Get your card stamped each time you borrow from the library
- Swap six stamps for a limited edition certificate
- New design certificates are released annually
Join the Library to receive an exclusive card and tote bag.
If your child is under 5 and isn't already a library member, you can sign up for
My First Library Card and claim a specially-designed library card and, while stocks
last, a lovely tote bag filled with goodies.
Find out more about My First Library Card.