Recruitment has closed for our summer placement opportunities, however, we will have new openings from September 2020. Please view our other volunteering opportunities at
Great Place is offering a two-part training programme for volunteers to gain valuable digital, creative and interpersonal skills. Volunteers will be trained to work with members of the community to create original digital stories that reflect the rich and diverse heritage of the Falkirk Council district – stories that would otherwise go unheard.
The training session will guide volunteers through the steps of the Digital Storytelling method and enable them to create and edit audio and images using suitable software on an iPad. By the end of the training, each volunteer will have completed their own digital heritage story (some prior ‘homework’ will be required for this).
Once trained volunteers will be matched up with an individual or small group of people who wish to create their own digital story, and work closely with them to achieve this. Volunteers will be fully supported along the way by the Great Place team.
Digital Stories captured during the project will contribute to a public digital database called “Our Stories”. This website will showcase some of the best heritage-work that local people have been carrying out during the project.
The Great Place project is a district-wide 2-year programme of activities celebrating the places, people, traditions and industry of the Falkirk area with thanks to the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
What’s in it for you?
• Meet interesting people
• Learn about local history
• Improve communication skills & develop storytelling techniques
• Contribute to the creation of a shared public digital information resource about our local heritage
• Develop basic digital skills as well as an understanding of the management of digital materials and information.
• Participate in two half-days of training with experienced filmmaker and digital storyteller Sabine Hellman (The People’s Story Project)
• Paired with another volunteer and/ or Great Place staff, volunteers will help capture digital heritage stories in community centres, senior residences, schools and beyond. This may include some planning time to source images and necessary background information.
• Projects will take place across the Falkirk district. Where possible, staff will try to match volunteers with projects that are local to them
Skills, Attitude, and Experience Required
This opportunity is best suited to individuals who are friendly and enthusiastic with a genuine interest in the stories and lives of others. You must have a willingness to learn to operate basic digital equipment but no prior experience is required.
Harriet Ward, Activity Lead Officer (Engagement, Research & Development) – Great Place
How to apply:
Please complete the online application form here.
If you require a hard copy, please let us know.
This role is purely voluntary and this arrangement is not meant to be a legally binding one or an employment contract.
Create a MyFCT account to save upcoming events and classes, and get recommendations tailored for you.
Already have an account? Log in
Enter your basic account information below. You'll use this to sign-in in future and on different devices.
Let us know your interests to get started on recommendations, and receive our top picks via email. Email preferences can be tailored in your account dashboard.
Please sign-in to see your saved events and recommendations.
No account? No problem! Get started
Please enter your email address and password.
has been added to your preferences.
has been removed off your preferences.
This is your basket area and allows you to add film, event and theater bookings and then checkout and pay all in one place.
Welcome - simply create your account today.
Great - simply browse through our range of items and add them to your basket.
No problem! If you've already registered with us, simply enter your email address and we'll email you a brand new one.
Once you've pressed, "SEND PASSWORD" check your email, copy and paste the details the next time you sign in.