To help you to plan for and eat a balanced diet, we have listed some ideas and inspiration to help you in the kitchen.
Steps you can take to make eating healthy easier
• Plan your meals: creating a weekly menu and a shopping list of all the ingredients you’ll need can save you money and help limit your food shopping to once a week.
• Food delivery: most local supermarkets offer online shopping and delivery, which means you avoid having to leave the house. If you can't secure a delivery slot, consider companies such as Mindful Chef, Gousto and Hello Fresh who deliver pre-planned meals.
• Batch cook: by making batches of healthy food to freeze you can defrost and reheat meals as and when you need them. Just remember to set aside enough time to create all the dishes you’ll need for the week.
• Keep a good stock of beans and tinned tomatoes: they’re a great standby and can be the basis of many great tasting meals that can be whipped up in half an hour.
• Make a pot of soup: you can create a healthy soup with almost any vegetables you have lying around - healthy, nutritious and quick.
Not sure what a healthy diet is? Read on:
Needing healthy recipe inspiration?
• Visit the BBC for healthy recipe ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner
• On a budget? Visit Cooking on a Bootstrap and Jamie Oliver
• The Association of UK Dieticians produces a jam-packed online magazine, Healthier You, that is a great resource.
• The British Heart Foundation’s online recipe finder is also a good bet.