Libraries’ first phase of reopening is limited to borrowing and returning items. You’ll be able to request books and audiobooks, then book an appointment to collect them.
You can request items via the library catalogue, or our Click & Collect Service. When your items are ready for collection, we’ll get in touch and ask you to book a time to pop in and pick up. Please note that we cannot loan DVDs at this time.
Before you visit the library
We ask that only one person per household visit the library. We appreciate that this isn’t always possible if you have young children or require assistance. Please don’t visit the library to collect your items without an appointment. You’ll be able to pick up books for several members of your family at the same time, so please make sure they have received notice that their items are ready. When you make your appointment, let us know the names of everyone you are collecting for.
- A face covering, unless you are medically exempt
- Your library card, or a form of ID
- A bag to put your items in
- Any items you would like to return
When you get to the library
- Pop on your face covering
- You’ll be asked to queue outside as we’re operating a one-in-one-out system.
- A member of staff will check your name against our appointment list and invite you to enter
- Once inside, drop any books you’re finished with into the returns box
- Show your library card or ID to the member of staff, who will direct you to your items.
- Place your items in your bag and exit by the same door you entered
Only want to return items?
That’s fine, you do not require an appointment just to return items. Visit the library when it is open to drop items off. You may be asked to queue to ensure that physical distancing is maintained. You will not be fined for any items due for return while we were closed. Your returned books may stay on your record for up to a week as we will quarantine them for 72 hours.
How we’re keeping you safe
- Staff have received training and are following strict hygiene measures
- Staff are practising good hand hygiene and wearing face coverings
- Our reception desks have sneeze screens
- Surfaces are wiped throughout the day
- Returned books are quarantined for 72 hours
- A physically distanced queuing system is in operation for customers
- We are asking you to wear a face covering, unless exempt from doing so
- Only one household will be permitted into the library at a time