As from 3pm on Thursday 24th December, our libraries will be closed in the coming weeks. We are following guidance from the Scottish government and will update you here with opening dates as soon as we have more information. Our Home Library Service will still be running to look after the most vulnerable.
Libraries have now reopened for browsing, photocopying and PC use, but you must first make an appointment. Book a visit on our appointment page.
Falkirk Library has also resumed the processing of bus passes. Please call 01324 503605 to make an appointment.
When your items are ready for collection, we’ll be in touch and ask you to book a time to pop in and pick up. Please note that we cannot loan DVDs at this time.
What should I do before I visit the library?
Please first make an appointment and bring:
- A face covering, unless you are medically exempt
- Your library card, or a form of ID if you are collecting books on behalf of someone
- A bag to put your items in
- Any items you would like to return
What happens when I get to the library?
- Pop on your face covering
- A member of staff will check your name against our appointment list and invite you to enter
- Use hand sanitiser
- Enter the library
- If you’re collecting requested books, you can head straight to the library counter
- If you’re browsing shelves, go ahead and choose items, then head to the library counter for them to be checked out
- If you’re using a PC, you will have been told the number of the PC to use when you made your appointment, but you can check this with staff at the library counter
For how long can I visit the library?
PC appointments last 1 hour – this includes 5 minutes cleaning time. You can book one PC slot per day.
Browsing, item collection and photocopying appointments are for 15 minutes.
Only want to return items?
You do not require an appointment only to return items. Visit us when we’re open and pop your books in the returns box, which will be just inside the front door. If there are other people waiting, you may be asked to wait to ensure that physical distancing is maintained. You will not be fined for any items due for return while we were closed. Your returned books may stay on your record for up to a week as we will quarantine them for 72 hours.
How we’re keeping you safe
- Staff have received training and are following strict hygiene measures
- Staff are practising good hand hygiene and wearing face coverings
- Our reception desks have sneeze screens
- Surfaces are wiped throughout the day
- Returned books are quarantined for 72 hours
- We are asking you to wear a face covering, unless exempt from doing so
- We are operating an appointment system to keep strict limits on the number of people in the building and to help with Track and Trace
- We are limiting the amount of time people spend in the building to 15 minutes for browsing and bus passes, and 1 hour for PC use