28 May 2021
Call for entries - Falkirk
YEAR OF COASTS AND WATER 2021
1ST – 29TH AUGUST 2021
Submission due: 5pm, 2 June 2021.
Falkirk Community Trust and Scottish Canals are looking for submissions for creative work to feature in the month long, activity trail in celebration of the Year of Coasts and Water 2021.
This is a one-off activity trail celebrating the history and heritage of our waterways. The activity trail takes place from 1st August to the 29th August 2021 along the 4 mile stretch of the Forth & Clyde Canal between the Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies.
A celebration of the Forth & Clyde Canal will be brought to life through a self-led activity trail blending the real and the virtual together. The canal will be adorned interactive sound and visual installations, with information points, photo spots, playnetic installations and an engaging digital programme.
We are looking to commission a minimum of four pieces of art and sound installations, celebrating the ecology and history of the canal. We are open to one organisation representing all four, or commissioning four different pieces by different organisations.
The brief for this work is very open. We are looking for work that:
- Celebrates the ecology and/or the history of the canal
- Brightens the canal and engages the audience
- Contributes to the beauty and wonder of the canal
- Interactive (optional)
- Combines sound and visual art (optional – it can be one or the other).
- The pieces need to be able to sit in location for 1 month
- The pieces need to be resistant to vandalism – we can work with you to determine suitable places along the canal
- We welcome applications with visual art and/or sound elements
- Installations on water are welcome, but not necessary and will need to be self-contained and include environmental impact study
- Installations up high or using infrastructure along the canal are welcome but they need to be self-contained
- All pieces must be self-contained for installation and de-rig, there will be limited technical support
- The activity trail is outside so power is limited, if you need power, please include this detail in your proposal. There is a small budget for generators.
- The activity trail is for families and installations need to be suitable for all ages
- Installations must be able to withstand outdoor weather
- Successful contractors will be required to provide images for marketing
- Successful contractors to be willing to participate in press calls if required
- Proposals can be for a specific location along the canal
- Installations will be placed at a suitable point along the Forth & Clyde canal at the discretion of the programming team
- We are looking for proposals between £1000 and £6000. The final fee will be negotiated and the proposal should include an accurate budget including fees, materials, install and de-rig and management. All expenses will be covered by the fee.
In your proposal please:
- Clearly explain what the piece entails.
- Pictures and diagrams are welcome
- Include a clear budget
- Include a plan to build w/c 26th July 2021 and de-rig on the 30th August 2021.
- Include a risk assessment and a copy of your public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million
- Please submit your proposal by 17:00 Wednesday 2nd June 2021
- Shortlisting will take place the same week and successful proposals will be contacted by the 4th June 2021.
- Please send your proposal to Anna Plant, Senior Events Officer firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Wednesday 2nd June 2021
- If you have any questions please email Anna on the email address above or call 07515 331 668.